Venezuelan Pulled Beef is one of the staple dishes in Venezuelan cuisine. We eat it with arepas, rice, in sandwiches and most importantly, is the 4th part of our National Dish, Pabellón Criollo.
Venezuelan cuisine has been making pulled meats since donkers years, actually, since we were a Spanish colony as a way to further meats and fish.
Pulled meats are so common back at home that makes the pulled meat trend look like so far behind the times.
But, with that aside, in this post I want to talk about how to make Venezuelan Pulled Beef and how we use it in Venezuela.
WHAT TO EAT WITH VENEZUELAN PULLED BEEF
Because this pulled beef recipe is the staple way of making it back at home, is kind of obligatory to eat it with our most traditional dishes.
For start, like I said in the beginning it forms part of our national dish Pabellón Criollo. But really, we eat it with potatoes and chips, but most commonly we eat it with white rice.
PULLED BEEF AREPAS RECIPE
This is the easiest recipe of the two because its simply made with pulled beef and a mild grated cheese like Gouda or cheddar.
Although this arepa is a bit more complicated to make, it is really a Pabellón Criollo in an arepa.
Normally is the largest of any arepa because of the amount of food in it. It has pulled beef, black beans, fried plantain and white cheese, really a meal on its own!
In Venezuela we would use Queso Blanco Duro, but if you can’t find it, any Feta like cheese is also good.
So without further do, here’s my Venezuelan Pulled Beef Recipe
PRINT THE RECIPE
- 1 Kg of beef Brisket
- 1 medium onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp of dried oregano
- 2 tsp of cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 500 ml tomato passata
- A splash of water should you need it
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1. To make the pulled beef please see my recipe How to Make Pulled Chicken in the Oven as it is the same recipe but changing chicken for the beef and leave to cook 1 hour per Kg.
2. In a hot pan with the vegetable oil add the chopped onion, peppers and garlic and leave to swat for 5 minutes
3. Add the pulled beef, passata, dried spices, Worcester sauce, water, bay leaves, salt and black pepper, mix well and leave to cook for 45 minutes at medium heat.
4. Add a splash of water throughout the cooking should you feel is a little bit dry.
5. Serve immediately with your favourite side or to filled arepas, baguettes or brioche buns
WATCH THE VIDEO ON HOW TO MAKE VENEZUELAN PULLED BEEF
And if you’re not sure how to make the pulled beef itself, here’s my recipe on How To Make Pulled Chicken, which uses the same method of cooking the beef.
Note that you will need to cook the beef for 1 hour per 1 Kg.
WATCH THE VIDEO ON HOW TO MAKE PULLED CHICKEN
If you would like to see more videos like these, please subscribe to my Youtube channel!
If you make this recipe, do leave your comment in the comments area below. Maybe you added something else to the recipe and is even more delicious and I would like to know!
For now, happy cooking and see you next week in another video recipe!